At S&S we feel it is our responsibility to protect our environment. Green is a way of life for us. It is not something separate; it is an integrated part of the way we operate and the way we do business. We feel that we are environmental stewards that will help inform and connect our customers to resources and products to help us all reduce our environmental footprint.
S&S will endeavor to reduce the emission of GHG. The on-going efforts include but are not limited to encouraging carpooling for all employees, maintaining a fuel efficient fleet, and decreasing unnecessary travel, hiring local staff to reduce air and ground travel, use of conference calls and webinars whenever possible
Reduction target: company - wide emission 5%
S&S is committed to reducing energy consumption. The on-going efforts include but are not limited to reduction of consumption of conventional energy sources such as electricity and heat. All lighting is produced by motion sensitive, energy saving light bulbs such as LED, halogen and florescent. Appliances are Energy Star certified. Employees are encouraged to use blankets rather than space heaters to reduce heating and cooling needs.
S&S is committed to reducing water consumption. The on-going efforts include but are not limited to high efficient appliances, low flow toilets, aerated faucets, efficient landscape irrigation methods, energy star washers, etc.
Reduction target: company - wide consumption of energy and water 5%
S&S is committed to reducing non-hazardous waste. The on-going efforts include but are not limited to a commitment to recycling; all office receptacles are color coded, and used accordingly. All recycling is separated from garbage and deposited appropriately. Commitment to purchasing green office supplies; use of paperclips instead of staples when possible, all paper use is recycled copy paper then re-recycled, reuse and reformatting of computer disks, use of refillable tape dispensers, use of customized rubber stamp for envelopes instead of disposable labels, environmentally friendly printers, toners and ink, double sided printing and copying, electronic communication whenever possible, use of document imaging for record keeping, donation or recycling of electronic devices no longer used, encouragement of staff to bring reusable utensils and dishware (disposable utensils no longer provided) recycled dishware provided only for special events, all office and warehouse orders are bought in bulk to reduce packaging waste. The S&S Rental and Repair division warranties tools for life, guaranteeing that properly maintained products will not be unnecessarily manufactured. We also calibrate and maintain technical safety products used to ensure employee and public safety. Asset management for customers reduces demand, manufacturing needs and ultimately the carbon footprint for the consumer chain.
S&S is committed to reducing hazardous waste. The on-going efforts include but are not limited to use of rechargeable batteries, purchase of green cleaning products only and all purpose cleaners, reduction of automotive fluid use by way of an efficient fleet and decreased travel, avoidance of aerosols, recycling whenever possible, use of least hazardous waste available,
Reduction target: company - wide production of waster 5%
- Green Fleet for sales force driving Toyota Prius' and Ford Escape Hybrids
- Recycling program at all locations
- Energy efficient lighting in all facilities
- Replaced all old AC units in our Martinez Warehouse with Energy Star AC units
- Reuse of packaging materials and use of corrugated boxes
- We have consolidated shipments, orders and request to go out same day in the same packaging. Less material is used including gas, manpower and packing material.
- Car pooling - employee rewards available
- S&S replaced and updated all of their desktop computers with energy star monitors and computer towers. The old product was sent to e-cycle to keep the old equipment from dumping in landfills and waterways.
- Green overhaul of New Headquarters Building- bottleless filtered water, recycling program, recycled furniture, elimination of lunchroom paper products, all paper products are recycled.
- Quarterly Green Newsletter
- Charter Member of PG&E Green Supply Team
- Battery Recycling program available
- Cylinder recycling program available
- Recycling shipping containers
- H2S monitors recycling to keep harmful chemicals out of circulation on our customer's worksites.
Here are some of our Green cleaning products and equipment that are available:
- truly green cleaning
Green seal certified line of cleaning products; all purpose cleaner, carpet extraction cleaner, graffiti remover, glass & window cleaner
- Biobased lubricants that perform like
Bio-Ultimax 1000-2000 Hydraulic Fluids (ISO 32, 48, 68)
- biodegradable trash bags, eco-friendly and non- toxic
Mops & brooms produced entirely from recycled materials,
including reclaimed cotton, PET plastic bottles, and corn
(also ask about the O'Dell Rewind-Mop recycling program)
- technology cleaning equipment
Uses 60% less water and chemicals, reduces floor pad
Consumption, and is certified green cleaning equipment
- Mats, Tiles, Roll Goods
Carpet top made from 100% post consumer recycled PET plastic bottles & rubber backing made from 15% post consumer recycled rubber form reclaimed tires
- Bamboo gloves and EVA rainsuits
- KLEENGUARD G10 Thin Mil Gloves and
recycled paper products
- S&S private labeled green cleaning supplies
- filter socks used to absorb water in vaults to reduce amount of hazardous waste (water is filtered out and comes out clean)
- S&S is now proud to be a distributor of CHEMFREE the manufacturer of THE SMARTWASHER. The SmartWasher is a bioremediating parts washing system. Through the process of bioremediation the SmartWasher eliminates the need to haul away used fluid.
S&S Supplies and Solutions is currently in the process of working with agencies to implement the environmental standards of our green initiative. We are committed to a 5% reduction in consumption in all areas. Never having been cited for an environmental compliance violation, S&S endeavors to remain at the forefront of innovation in terms of environmental protection and conservation.